Monday, April 02, 2007

The Windmill


I was at a friends house tonight and he said it was time for me to add something to my site. He was tired of looking at the same old thing so here it is. I will try to do better.
I love to photograph old things that are rusted or in ruins. I love windmills as well so here was the best of both worlds- an old windmill.
I can remember visiting my grandmother in Nebraska. She had a windmill right beside her house. It was beside the windmill that I learned to whistle for the first time. I ran into the house to share with my grandma and mom my new found skill. I probably drove them crazy trying to whistle the rest of the week.
There was a long galvanized pipe that ran from the windmill to the stock tank. We would go and put our hand over the end of the pipe and let it fill up with water as the windmill would pump water. Then we would remove our hand and the water would come rushing out overflowing as we stuck our heads down in it to get a drink. It seemed that was the coldest and best water I have ever tasted.
Just a few years ago I couldn't be there but my Uncle was baptized in that stock tank by the old windmill.
By the way, this windmill is in Mercer County, KY.

No comments: